Every time I tell someone Zillow’s data is:
- Outdated by months or more
- New data is delayed several days
I can feel their eyes rolling and hear them thinking “yea, yea, yea, you just don’t want me using it because it replaces the agent”. So check this out. The following is information from the Board of Directors at the Space Coast Association of Realtors on what Zillow requires in a data agreement.
- Perpetual Use of Data – Zillow wanted your listing data for perpetual use, that is, to use it forever, even if a broker later decided to opt out.
This speaks to the inaccurate data. Have you ever called the agent that was listed next to a property you were interested in, only to hear that it sold months ago, or longer?
- Usage of off Market listings – When a listing goes from “active” to off market (sold, withdrawn, expired, etc.) instead of Zillow removing the listing form their database they wanted to change the “status” which would mean that they would still maintain the use of the data, for purposes unclear and undefined.
Inaccurate data, anyone?
- Listing Office Contact Information – Zillow wanted to reserve the right to “alter the data” by eliminating any content provided that does not assist a potential buyer in the evaluation of a property (e.g. photos that display only contact information or a logo rather than the property itself).
Zillow only wants you to use the agents that pay them for the leads, not the agents that know about the property.
So as of today April 7th with the end of the agreement Zillow had with Listhub, you the Zillow user will not be receiving data from the majority of the real estate offices in Brevard County. That means tomorrow there will be less and less Zillow data on real estate in Brevard County, FL.
Why did we decide not to give Zillow our information? Because you want accurate data, and you want it right now. As agents we can opt to provide you with up to date information via a search page like THIS ONE. It doesn’t cost you anything to use, and it allows you to search the available inventory just like I do. If a new property goes on, its visible immediately. Price change, Sold, Back on Market? Same thing.
Or if you are ready for a professional real estate agent to help you with your home buying or selling call Ben DeHaven at 321-501-2999.